Monday, January 30, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen: Part I

     So today I embarked on my first day in the kitchen. Since our arrival in SPb on Saturday, the program has been feeding us breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but after a quick "practical" tour of the city today (we learned how to use the metro!) I headed back toward campus and grocery shopped my heart out. Needless to say, I was more than overly enthusiastic about the fact that I will be able to cook my own meals this semester as anyone who knows me would easily list "Cooking" as my favorite past-time. After perusing the grocery store for quite a while and gathering up what I deemed as essential at the moment, I wasted no time getting to work in our ill-equipped "kitchen". I only say this because "kitchen" in Russia is taken to mean "two hot plates, a frying pan, and a refrigerator/freezer".

Armed with only a frying pan and tea pot, I managed to concoct today's masterpiece: Curry Chicken Breast and Veggie Pasta! (Feel free to be jealous that you aren't as talented in the kitchen) "Just how did you do it?!", your envious brain may be wondering. Well, I'll show you...but it wasn't easy!

It took a whole lot of improv! I know I've never made pasta in a tea-pot before, but it most certainly won't be the last time this semester. It will, however, be one of the last times I use a bowl as a cutting board and a butter knife for anything!



Newly purchased ingredients needed to make a delicious meal: Olive Oil, curry chicken seasoning, some seasoning written only in Russian, noodles, a frozen vegetable mix of zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, and red peppers, half an onion, 3 cloves of garlic, and chicken!

1. Saute garlic cloves (chopped) and onion in pan with olive oil. 2.Boil pasta in tea-pot until tender. 3. Combine sauted ingredients with pasta in frying pan. 4. Add vegetables and Russian seasoning. 5. Set aside. 6. Season chicken breast with "Chicken Curry Seasoning" while heating pan with olive oil. 7. Cook chicken in pan, making sure to brown on both sides aaaaaaaaaaaaand BAM! A delicious meal is served!


And one more shot in-case you aren't drooling or impressed by my feat!!!

  dream.love.discover (you don't need all of your fancy kitchen tools from home!!)
Dachelle




No comments:

Post a Comment

SMC Blogger