Friday, February 17, 2012

Adventures in the Kitchen: Part II (Why do burritos follow me across borders?!)

     I hadn't realized last semester that burritos were becoming a common theme in my abroad experience, but lo-and-behold, I have again succumbed to their flavor-full, easy-to-make deliciousness. Although I don't eat burritos very often at home, they have become a comfort for me during my Indian and Russian adventures. One thing I enjoy about making a food from home in both countries I have visited this year is the challenge of seeing what ingredients I can manage to wrangle together and what flavors each area contributes to a food that now lies close to my heart (and frequently in my stomach). After my burrito experiment here in Russia, I can successfully conclude that India does lend interestingly delicious contributions to the home favorite (chapati instead of tortillas, delicious masala corn, breaking the taboo of the no "rice+chapati" equation, watching friends' host parents over-stuff their burritos, etc.), but if its an authentic burrito from home you are craving, you may have more luck finding the most similar ingredients in Russia. Armed with just a pot and a pan in our two-burner suite kitchen, my roommate and I set out to make burritos to suffice our actual craving of nachos (WHICH I PLAN TO HAVE TONIGHT, now that I've successfully tracked down tortilla chips!).
A mission successfully accomplished!
**Note: there were no pressure-cooker induced rice explosions in the making of these Россия burritos. :)

 My roommate, helping to cook up our burrito fillers!
(Beef, rice, and beans)

 (Can't forget the delicious home-made salsa!!)
And VOILA! Delicious, homemade Russian burrito success!!!

And some other delicious creations y'all are missing out on....
 Sweet and Tangy Garlic & Lemon Salmon
Seafood Pasta in a White Wine Cream Sauce

And in other news...only 87 days til I head home!!!!
dream.love.discover, 
Dachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SMC Blogger