Thursday, April 26, 2012

17: Locks of Love...



With its long, cold winters,  and a reputation of people that are equally as ice cold (a false stereotype btw!), I wasn't expecting Saint Petersburg to be a place that was keeping love alive and well, but lo-and-behold, this place is bursting at the seams with awfully romantic couples who enjoy displaying their love...everywhere- strolling down the  gorgeous streets, getting waaaaaay more close than we would ever see two people be back home in the metro stations, etc. I cannot name a day that has gone by that I have not seen at least one person with a bouquet of roses in hand (ODD NUMBERS ONLY, unless you're buying them for a funeral!). 
Seeing all this love has definitely not helped to decrease my level of homesickness...


That being said, one of my favorite traditions so far is definitely one of the simplest gestures of love you can find around town. I like to call them "love locks"-(usually) heart-shaped locks that have initials or names on them I usually see them locked on a bridge or to an iron gate/fence. They are a simple, yet extremely photogenic and beautiful symbol of love. Here are just a few of the locks I have found during my travels in and around SPb (as well as in Novgorod & a few other places just outside the city).









dream.loooove.discover (one of the coldest places you've ever been is keeping love warm in their hearts!),
Dachelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SMC Blogger